Allocation of New Show Dates
8 May 2020
Shortly after the declaration of a State of Disaster in South Africa, the Federal Council of KUSA established a Task Team to consider the allocation of “new” dates for shows and events that had been postponed due to the stringent measures pertaining to social gatherings and sporting events put in place by the Government in mid-March.
The Task Team comprised the two Fedco members jointly holding the Fedco Portfolio for Shows, Carol Immelman and Gael Morison, the Chairman of Exco, Bruce Jenkins, and Adele Bastick from the KUSA Shows Department.
At the time it was established, the Task Team agreed to adopt a wait-and-see attitude, given the rapidly changing circumstances. The Task Team also concluded that, should any dates be allocated, they would only be provisional at such an early stage.
As time progressed, with the extension of the initial lockdown and, more recently, the introduction of the five lockdown levels, it became increasingly apparent that we were a long way from being able to resume holding dog shows in South Africa.
Unfortunately, there is no provision for holding sporting events or public gatherings at any of the lockdown levels. In other words, dog shows will not be allowed until South Africa is completely out of lockdown. We also have no indication of the time periods pertaining to the various lockdown stages and, therefore, no idea of when we might be able to schedule dog shows and events again.
Consequently, it is with sadness and regret that, after careful consideration, the members of the Task Team came to the decision that it would be pointless to consider the allocation of dates for holding dog shows or other events in 2020, even if provisional, until the lockdown has reached Level 2. As soon as the South African Government declares the progression to Level 2, and provided we have a clear indication as to the likely timeframe for the lifting of the restrictions on public gatherings and sporting events, the Task Team will immediately invite clubs to submit their applications for available dates.
When the time comes, the Task Team and the KUSA Shows Department will make every effort to attend to the applications as swiftly and fairly as possible. Submission dates for documentation will also be adjusted on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that Fedco has agreed that Schedule 3, Regulation 188.8.131.52 (Clubs needing to requalify if no Championship Show is held for two consecutive years) will be waived for any Shows not held in 2020 due to COVID-19. Fedco has also directed that Licence Fees paid for cancelled shows in 2020 will be carried over to 2021.
The Task Team and KUSA Shows Department thank you for your understanding and support during these trying times.