The Kennel Union of Southern Africa (KUSA) promotes the improvement and general well-being of dogs, encourages responsible breeding and showing of pure bred dogs, regulates training classes and events, licenses dog shows, obedience tests, working trials and much more.
KUSA is a member of the FCI (Fédération Cynologique Internationale), the biggest canine organization in the world. The FCI has 75 full members with one in almost each country in the world, from Austria to Venezuela. See the full list here: FCI members
In 2016, KUSA celebrated 125 years of working for and with dogs in Southern Africa. Founded in 1891, the South African Kennel Club, now the Kennel Union of Southern Africa aka KUSA, is the combination of the Southern African Kennel Club of Port Elizabeth (founded 1883) and the South African Kennel Club of Cape Town (founded 1889). Today, KUSA is primarily a registration and administrative organization with nearly two hundred affiliated clubs and four thousand members. KUSA licenses over six hundred Championship and non-Championship events annually.
You will need to be a member of KUSA to:
- Register a dog with the Kennel Union of Southern Africa
- Register or renew an Affix (Kennel Name)
- Breed with a KUSA Registered bitch or stud
- Be a KUSA Judge
- Be a delegate of a Provincial Council
- Be a member of the Executive Committee
- Be a member of the Federal Council
- Enter dogs in KUSA licenced Championship Shows
KUSA members are very valuable to us and the KUSA team has been working hard throughout the year to increase the benefits for KUSA members, whether you show, train or breed your dogs.
Benefits of becoming a KUSA member:
- Receive electronic Notices directly in your e-mailbox;
- Advertise on the exclusive Breeders' Adverts Page on the KUSA website;
- Free entry to the McQueen Memorial Reference Library in Cape Town;
- Purchase exclusive litter statistics and special reports
- Obtain privileged access to the KUSA Members Portal and Club Portal with online services;
- Research ancestry using the KUSA Mate Select and Trial Mating tools;
- May enter FCI events hosted overseas if meet entry qualifications.
- Participate in the various dog related disciplines such as Agility, Dog Jumping, Carting, Flyball, IPO, Field Trials, Dancing with dogs & Rescue dogs.
- Make your dog up to be a Grand Champion (Breed and / or Dscipline).
KUSA Membership Costs
New members – New members must pay an election fee of R275 to be presented to the Executive Committee of KUSA for election. Cost: R275 incl VAT
Returning members – If you were a KUSA member and your membership has lapsed for more than 1 month but less than 12 months, you are required to pay R130 for re-election by Exco. Cost: R130 incl VAT
Join KUSA for one year for only R484 (excluding initial fee). After 5 years of unbroken membership, you will be eligible for the discounted annual fee of R445 incl VAT